Friday, February 4, 2011

Surprise Vacay!

My surprise vacation began Sunday night when I received a phone call from one of my teamates informing me that a water pipe had busted under our parking lot leaving the building without water. I was a wee bit selfish and sent Addy to daycare anyways. I wanted to spend some of my newly aquired birthday money and haven't mastered the 'trying on clothes while entertaining a toddler' trick.

Monday night is when the 'arctic blast' reared its ugly head. I haven't seen Pete Delkus this excited in quite some time. I awoke Tuesday morning at the awful time of 4:40am and turned on the tv to see if Delkus really did 'deliver'. Sure enough, no school. The roads were covered in a thin sheet of ice all over the metroplex. (Delkus used words such as 'thundersleet' and 'thundersnow'--told you he was excited.)



All day Tuesday, the temps remained in the teens with wind chills in the single digits. Nothing thawed out. By 5:00 that evening RISD closed for Wednesday. Sweet!

Wednesday was COLD again. And the cabin fever was starting to set in. I just knew we would be back on Thursday. I was shocked when our district cancelled school for Thursday by 4:30 that afternoon! Another day off? Could it be? A few of us teachers were texting back and forth in disbelief, sick over the thought of having to make up all these days. Surely, there would be school on Friday. No?



Thursday, Delkus informed us all that we were going to get some snow overnight--just a bit. I guess all the districts decided that the sheet of ice topped by snow was enough to close for Friday as well. Could it be? A whole week off? Indeed! Delkus 'under-delivered' this go around.  We got more snow than he predicted! The snow began around midnight and Dusty and myself couldn't help ourselves to play a bit. It continued all night and we awoke to find easily 6 inches on the ground. We couldn't tell where the yard stopped and the street began!







As we sit here now at 5:00 on Friday, the snow has finally ceased and the sun is trying to peek out from behind those mean clouds. The temp is 25 degrees--warmest its been since Monday. A whole week off with my girl was awesome! However, the cabin fever snuck in and we struggled with being unable to go anywhere since Monday! Today, we ventured into the backyard and played a bit...and then made a fort in her playroom this afternoon with some old sheets. I have had my fill of Mickey Mouse, Horton, and Nemo. We did have fun though! And it doesn't sound like we will have to make up ALL of the days, so who can complain?!


No comments: