Friday, September 18, 2009

A Mommy's Role

To all the Moms, Mommies, Mamas, Grandmas....etc!

Mother's Role - Super Hero
The other day at work, one of my clients asked me what powers I would have if I was a super hero. With out hesitation I told her I was already a super hero. She started laughing and asked why. To which I responded I grow babies and I make milk. Those are super powers. Everyone in the salon stopped and looked at me like I was insane.
Since then I have not been able to stop thinking about it. A mother's role really is a super hero. I have many super powers. Many more than just growing babies and making milk, all though, those alone would be super enough. The more I've thought about it, the more I am inspired by a mother's role. We don't just change diapers and clean up messes. We change lives. We bring comfort and security. We save the day. Isn't that what the comic book super hero's do?
I have already mentioned my ability to grow babies and make milk, but here are some of my other super powers, that I am sure I share with many other super moms.
~I have the ability to calm a fussing baby just by looking at her, I can then make the now calm baby smile and laugh just by smiling at her. All this without even touching her.
~I can make booboo's stop hurting with a kiss.
~I can fix toys.
~I can reach really far under the couch to get lost toys.
~I can carry a wiggly infant and a ginormous toddler and walk speedily to any destination.
~I can change diapers in the dark with my eyes closed. (I may even be asleep during this.)
~I have x-ray vision, I can see things behind me and in other rooms. Which allows me to bust a toddler for naughty and/or dangerous behavior.
~I have super hearing, which aides the above mentioned busting.
~I can feed the kids, do laundry, work on the computer and pick up the house all at the same time.
~I can breastfeed one baby while chasing the other.
~I can make anything scary not scary with a hug.
~Touching me at all makes things safer and easier.
~I can keep a busy toddler happily entertained for more than two hours in the Doctor office waiting room.
~I know the answer to all questions (so far, and I'll google it when I don't)
~I love them even when they are screaming/crying/puking/pooping
~I can run faster than a speeding bullet when my child is in danger.
~I can leap tall buildings, fences, security gates and just about anything else that stands between me and babies.
~I am stronger than ten men when the situation needs it.
~I can decipher my infants cries and know exactly what she wants.
I am sure that as my children grow older and continue to multiply, I will find more super powers that I possess. A mother's role is the greatest job on earth. It has brought me so much joy and happiness. I have found new strengths and talents I never even knew I had. It makes me feel strong and powerful. It is up to me to raise these kids, to mold their lives. I just hope I can live up to such a task.
So here is to all the Super Moms out there. We are the greatest Super Hero's there are.

No comments: